It’s time for another entry in the ongoing series I am running where we get to look at the working contents of various design and construction related professionals. So far we have seen the contents from:
Today we get to take a look inside the bag of Dallas based environmental graphic designer – Steve Jordan of Steve Jordan Design. Despite the fact that Steve and I live in the same city, we have actually never met. I first heard of Steve a few years ago when I sent up a red flag, a cry for help if you will … and I didn’t take him up on his offer [probably not a good decision on my part]. At any rate, my path has crossed with Steve digitally several times since and when he saw that I was looking for different designers and construction related folks to “show me what they got, he answered the call and this time I listened …
Original Penguin canvas bag - To find a decent bag, that held 11×17 pages without folding, and had a nice padded space for a laptop, was not easy. It took me several years to find this, so I had to scoop it up when I had the chance.
1. 15” MacBook Pro
2. Grado SR80i Headphones – open back lusciousness. I admit to being an audio snob and have too many headphones to admit to, but these are keepers
3. Bron Double Sided VHB Tape – been in the bag for years. Never know when I may need to hang a sign myself
4. Verbatim Retractable 8GB Thumb Drive
5. Sony NEX 3 Camera – Replaced my Canon DSLR with a mirrorless system. Small and easily portable with DSLR quality. This was a bit of a gamble on my part, but no regrets. Big props to my buddy Nguyen, who works for the Sony Camera Division
6. Mont Blanc Starwalker Metal Rubber – I would never spend this much money on a pen. It was a gift from a client
7. Generic Leather Padfolio with graph paper pad
8. Hotel notepad – from one of my projects (swiped from the Conference Room)
9. Sticker from my Barbershop – not sure why this is in here. Probably been in the bag for 3-4 years. Probably will not go back in though…
10. Fluke 414D Laser Distance Meter – I use it more to tease the dog than actual measuring, but when I need it, I need it….
11. Picket Scale Ruler – I am a stickler for keeping it in the case
12. Sticky Note Pad – sample from a paper vendor
13. Business Cards – I spent a fortune on these. Letterpress printed on 220lb, 100% cotton stock… Money well spent.
14. Old Camera case that houses/protects my Magic Mouse on the go.
15. Magic Mouse – call me old-fashioned, but I need a mouse to draw
16. Squeegee – Never know when I may need to install some vinyl graphics myself
17. Multi Tool – Vendor giveaway
18. Red Pen – this same pen seems to have been in my bag for several years
19. Level – Never know when I may need to hang a sign myself
20. 25’ Stanley Tape Measure – at least 20 years old… quality tool
21. EyeBobs Reading Glasses – I practically wear them full-time (I’m over 40)
22. iPad Stylus / Ballpoint Pen Combo - not sure why I keep this, my wife commandeered my iPad 3 years ago
23. Candy Stick – how & where did this come from????
24. Medium Oxide Bronze Material sample
25. Etched Brass Project Sample – was used for locker tags at a spa in San Miguel De Allende
26. Burts Bees Lip Balm – one of about 6 tubes I have scattered around my universe
I’d like to thank Steve for answering the call and for sharing with us the bag contents of a graphic designer. If you think you are ready to answer the call and get your bag and contents featured here on the site, just send me an email. I’m looking to showcase professionals that I haven’t already covered … is that you? You can reach me at:
bob [at] lifeofanarchitect [dot] com
You can see all the other posts in this series by clicking [what's in your bag?]